Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Taco Time



The other day I had a craving for fish tacos, and wanted to make a relatively healthy version that didn't feature battered and fried fish. I had a hard time finding a recipe that would work for me; none of the 5 stores I visited had tomatillos for salsa verde, I wanted to grill the fish, and I wanted a tasty marinade for the fish. After spending too much time looking for a recipe that fit all of these requirements, I decided to use bits and pieces of a few recipes and add my own spin on the ingredients.

I used this salsa fresca recipe; but used two red tomatoes, one unriped green tomato and added a can of green chillies that I had kicking around. I used this marinade; but substituted olive oil for canola oil and added a bit of chopped garlic. I used cod but you could substitute it for tilapia, halibut, haddock or any other white fish you have at home. I baked the fish in the oven instead of grilling it because it happened to be raining that day and I'm a wimp, and garnished the tacos with avocado and green cabbage in addition to the salsa fresca.

Making these tacos was a fun experience for me because I learned that I don't need to follow a recipe 'to a tee' for it to work out. I have decided that I want to take more chances and experiment with cooking and baking in order to make the recipes I use 'my own'.







8 comments:

  1. You always take awesome food pics!!! These look yummy!!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE fish tacos!!!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so great, I'm going to try this out!
    http://washingtondcfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummm :) Wish I was at home so I can make this for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy! I love fish tacos..and we do some sort of Mexican dish once a week. I think one of the things I love most about visiting other people's blogs is getting good ideas about what to make for dinner. Thanks ;)
    naina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I come over for dinner next time? This looks so good! Tried making fish cakes last night after a great taste at the French Bistro! Results: delicious but soo not pretty! They all fell apart!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love fish tacos, this recipe looks so good!

    jadepurplebrown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete