Thursday, October 14, 2010

Black and Blue


Blouse: Joe Fresh, tank: Gap, skinny jeans: J Brand, ballet flats: Coach, necklace: Hilary Druxman, biker jacket: People's Liberation, sunglasses: Oliver Peoples, scarf: gift from my grandma.

This is what I wore to work yesterday. The dress code is very casual at the school I teach at, which can be both good and bad. The good part is that I can wear jeans and a blouse every day, the bad part is that when I get dressed up in a skirt, dress, heels, or add a piece of statement jewellery, at least one co-worker asks "why are you so dressed up today?". This question usually results me in feeling self-conscious for the rest of the day, wondering whether everyone is looking at me funny. I'm starting to get better at taking it as a compliment, but it's been difficult. Does this ever happen to you, at work or in another environment? What is your response?







14 comments:

  1. I love it that you dress up some days for teaching. When I went to school in Alberta the teachers always dressed up. Here in SoCal they wear the WORST casual outfits (cheerleader skirt on the teacher? really?? sweats?? it's disgusting). Anyway - I like this little outfit too. The scarf is perfect!

    xoxo,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your outfit...its casual, yet chic:)
    In my office, I can wear pretty much whatever I want, within reason....no one at work ever says anything to me. Ive seen a few stares on the street though, lol...I would just smile and say "cuz Im feeling sassy"...heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great! I get the "dressed up" comments a lot, too. A majority of people don't put a lot of effort into looking really nice or going the extra mile so anything that's prettier than usual is "dressed up." Besides, who really needs a reason to dress up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your jacket and tank! Gorgeous.
    xo Josie
    http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chas!
    Thanks for visiting my blog!
    Very nice outfit, love the pink scarf!!!

    Would you like to trade links with me?
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these! Great outfit! love the pink scarf adds a bit of color to a dark outfit!

    xoxo, jaz
    fashionstatement101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute, I like it best with the scarf! I love those bold color combos that aren't too matchy, but still look great together. Perfect for fall :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the leather jacket and the way you styled it.
    Keep in touch
    xx
    Sahi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you look awesome! I love the pop of fuschia the scarf gives off. This outfit is just all sorts of cool.

    I used to get really self-conscious anytime someone was like "Why are you so dressed up?" but am now just thinking they a) mean it as a compliment or b) are wondering if they missed the memo on an important meeting/awesome fun time. :)


    - JoAnn
    Enter to win a 1960s vintage handbag!
    Sidewalk Chalk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute! We were both feeling the black and blue. Love the pop of pink!

    Carla
    http://wwwsimplybubblelicious.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok super amazing jacket and LOVE that pop of pink. Have I told you I love your style?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, I get it all the time which I find really surprising considering that I work for Canada's most known and prestigious employer!

    You should take it as a compliment - Always!

    As you always look beautiful!


    besos,

    Win a Banana Republic Statement Necklace at:

    20 YORK STREET

    ReplyDelete